Gatwick Airport is growing increasingly crowded as sun-seeking vacationers hurry there to catch a flight.
For many, this may be their first visit to the airport in more than two years because of the pandemic, and in that time there have been numerous changes, including to the regulations around passenger drop-off and pick-up.
As of now, automobiles using the drop-off areas at both the North Terminal and South Terminal have been required to pay a fee.
To pick someone up, you have three options. You can pay for it or go for a cost-effective option.
However, there are exceptions to the general norm. Blue Badge holders who are handed at the airport by friends or a cab are exempt from fees so long as their license plate is registered in advance on the airport’s website.
Continue reading to find out how to pick someone up from Gatwick airport and how much you have to pay for it.
What Are The Charges For Picking Someone Up From Gatwick Airport?
Whether you are picking up a buddy from their vacation or dropping off a relative, we are here to help you park at Gatwick Airport easily.
As mentioned above, there are three choices available: Long Stay, Short Stay, and Express Pickup.
Free Pick Up at Long Stay
If you want to save money and it’s okay for you to park a little far from the airport, you should go for the Gatwick’s free Long Stay pick-up option.
You may park in either of the Long Stay parking lots at either terminal for free for up to 2 hours.
Every 10 to 15 minutes, there is a 5-minute bus connection from the Long Stay area to the terminals.
Moreover, Long Stay parking is free only for the first 2 hours, then costs £25.00 per day for the first day and £20.00 per day thereafter.
We advise reserving Gatwick Airport parking in advance to maximize your savings. When you reach the Long Stay Parking Areas, you can:
Park at a Free Pick Up space and wait in your vehicle for your passenger(s). To reach you, they must take the usual airport bus service and exit at the appropriate stop.
As usual, park in the Long Stay Car Park and take the bus to the terminal to pick up your guest(s). You may park your car in the parking lot for free for up to two hours. After 2 hours, standard fees apply.
Short Stay Car Park
The Short Stay parking lot is located close to the terminals and is less than five minutes from the check-in counter.
This is great for families traveling with kids or with a significant amount of luggage. However, there are certain charges depending upon the time, as mentioned below:
- £3.80 for half an hour
- £7.50 for an hour
- £12.00 for up to 2 hours
- £14.00 for up to 3 hours
- £18.00 for up to 4 hours
- £21.00 for up to 4 hours
- £24.00 for up to 5 hours
- £38.00 for up to 6 hours
- £45.00 for up to 12 – 24 hours
Express Pick Up
Express Pickup stations are conveniently accessible in the Short Stay parking lots at both terminals. The Express Pickup facilities are located on both North and South Terminals.
- North Terminal: Level 1 or Parking Lot 6
- South Terminal: Level 0
Please note that although this is a designated Express Pick Up and Drop Off area, you cannot just leave your vehicle there. Standard Short Stay rates apply to the Express Pick Up location.
How To Get To Long Stay?
Long Stay two terminals, North and South. To get to them, follow the directions mentioned below.
- Follow the signs to Gatwick Airport after leaving Junction 9 of the M23.
- At the first intersection, follow the signs for the North Terminal.
- At the following roundabout, take the third exit for the Long Stay Parking Lot.
- Pass the gas station on your right before taking the third exit at the next roundabout.
- Continue for approximately one mile to the next intersection and turn right.
- Follow the directions to Gatwick Airport after exiting the M3 at Junction 9 and following the signs to the airport.
- Take the second left turn and follow the directions to the Long Stay Parking Lot.
- Continue along the road on the right until you reach the entrance barriers.
- When you reach Long Stay, wait for your vehicle registration numbers to be scanned at the barrier. Upon recognition, you will receive a ticket bearing your booking reference.
How To Get To Short Stay?
- Exit the M23 at Exit 9, and follow the signs to Gatwick Airport.
- Follow the North Terminal signs at the first intersection (J9a) and continue straight.
- Take the first North Terminal exit at the next roundabout.
- Keep to the left and you’ll see the access barriers to the Short Stay Car Parks in the distance.
- From Brighton or London, exit the M23 at Terminal 9 and follow the signs to Gatwick Airport at the intersection.
- At the first roundabout (J9a), turn left and follow the signs for South Terminal.
- Following the signage to the Short Stay Parking Lot, go to the right lane; the entrance barriers will be ahead.
- Drive to Car Park 5 if you’re parking at the North Terminal.
- If you are parking at the South Terminal, proceed to Car Parks 1 or 2.
- When you enter the parking lot, your vehicle’s license plate will be checked.
- Then, take your parking pass and park.