Although January is not the busiest travel month in London, it is still a popular time to go.
Compared to the summer, the city is typically less crowded in January, and you might be able to find cheaper prices on travel and lodging.
The weather may be chilly and wet, so you’ll want to be ready with warm clothing and waterproof gear.
During this time of the month, the city holds a number of events, including exhibitions, sporting competitions, and cultural festivals.
The following are some of the popular events that take place in January:
- New Year’s Day Parade: The New Year’s Day Parade takes place in central London on January 1st each year. The parade features floats, marching bands, and performers from around the world.
- London International Mime Festival: The London International Mime Festival is an annual event that takes place in January and February. The festival features performances by mime artists and physical theatre companies from around the world.
- Winter Wonderland: Winter Wonderland is an annual Christmas-themed festival that takes place in Hyde Park in November and December.
- Chinese New Year: The Chinese New Year usually falls in late January or early February, and London celebrates the occasion with a variety of events, including a parade in Chinatown and performances in Trafalgar Square.
What To Wear In London In January?
London weather in January can be quite cold, with temperatures ranging from 2°C (36°F) to 8°C (46°F) on average.
It’s also likely to be wet and windy, so it’s important to dress appropriately for the weather. Here are some suggestions on what to wear in London in January:
- Layers: Wearing layers will help you adjust to the changing temperatures throughout the day.
- Warm coat: A warm, waterproof coat is essential for staying dry and comfortable in London in January.
- Waterproof shoes or boots: The streets of London can get wet and slippery, so it’s important to wear such shoes to prevent slips and falls.
- Umbrella: It’s always a good idea to carry an umbrella with you in London, as you never know when it might rain.
London’s Weather In January (In Fahrenheit And Celsius):
The average high temperature in London in January is around 8°C (46°F), while the average low temperature is around 3°C (37°F).
However, temperatures can vary widely depending on the specific day and location in London. Here are the average temperatures in London in January in both Fahrenheit and Celsius:
- Average high temperature: 8°C (46°F)
- Average low temperature: 3°C (37°F)
What To Wear For Daytime Activities In London?
The secret to dressing comfortably and sensibly for daytime activities in London is to keep your sense of style intact. It’s crucial to be ready for anything because London’s weather can be rather erratic.
Here are some suggestions on what to wear for daytime activities in London:
- Comfortable shoes: London is a walking city, so make sure to wear comfortable shoes that you can walk in for several hours without any discomfort.
- Layers: The weather in London can change quickly, so it’s a good idea to wear layers that you can easily take off or put on depending on the temperature.
- A light jacket or coat: Even in the summer, it can get chilly in London, so it’s always a good idea to bring a light jacket or coat.
- Casual clothing: London has a relaxed dress code, so you can wear casual clothing like jeans, t-shirts, and sneakers.
- Accessories: To add some style to your outfit, consider wearing a scarf, hat, or statement jewelry.
- Backpack or crossbody bag: For carrying essentials like water, snacks, and a map.
What To Wear For Nighttime Activities In London?
There are many things to do after the sun goes down in London because of its thriving nightlife, including partying, bar hopping, theater performances, and concerts.
The following advice may help you dress appropriately for various nighttime activities in London:
- Clubbing and bar hopping:
Dress to impress! Ladies can opt for a cocktail dress or a fashionable top paired with a skirt or skinny jeans. High heels or ankle boots are a popular choice.
Gentlemen can go for a smart casual look with a stylish shirt or a blazer paired with dark jeans or trousers.
- Theater shows and concerts:
Dress smartly. Ladies can choose a nice dress or a skirt with a blouse, and pair it with heels or flats.
Gentlemen can go for a suit or a dress shirt with trousers, and polished shoes. Keep in mind that some venues may have a dress code, so check before you go.
- Rooftop bars:
Dress to impress but also bring a jacket or sweater as it can get chilly in the evening.
Ladies can wear a chic jumpsuit or trousers paired with a stylish top and heels. Gentlemen can opt for a smart casual look with a shirt or a blazer, trousers, and loafers.
- Pub crawls:
Dress comfortably but avoid sportswear. Ladies can wear a casual dress or jeans with a top, paired with comfortable shoes.
Gentlemen can wear jeans or chinos with a shirt or a t-shirt, paired with sneakers or loafers.
Other Things You Should Pack For A January Holiday In London:
If you’re planning a trip to London in January, you’ll need to pack for cold, wet, and possibly snowy weather. Here are some other things you might want to consider packing:
- A warm coat
- Waterproof boots
- Scarf, hat, and gloves
- Travel insurance
- Cash and credit cards